By downloading content from this site, the customer agrees to the following terms and conditions:
- MCT grants to customer the non-exclusive license to use MCT content in customer's print or online product, subject to the terms and conditions stated below, in consideration of the fees set forth on the site or, for subscription customers, in the customer's written contract.
- MCT material may only be used for editorial purposes. It may not be used for advertising or promotional purposes.
- Except as otherwise provided in a customer's agreement, no rights or licenses are granted by MCT to subscriber. Subscriber agrees that it will not allow any item of content from the service to be indexed by search engines, instructing search-engine crawlers, spiders, or other robots to avoid indexing any item of content from the service.
- MCT shall in no event be liable for loss or damage arising to customer or any other party by reason of the publication or dissemination of the MCT material by customer. MCT shall in no event be liable for loss or damage to customer by reason of nondelivery, delay or interruption in delivery of the MCT material.
- Customer will not use or cause or allow to be used any of the MCT material except for one publication of each item thereof in the customer's publication.
- Without limitation, customer will not make or authorize any distribution of the MCT material by reprinting, broadcast, cable television, videotex, teletext or other means either separately or in conjunction with other material from publication without the prior consent of MCT. Customer will not assign this agreement or any rights therein without first obtaining the written consent of MCT.
- Customer will respect all release pledges on advance matter. Customer agrees to publish, with each piece of MCT material, any credit line and any trademark or copyright notice, or both, that is included with such material.
- The MCT content placed online by customer shall be credited to MCT or the content shall bear copyright and trademark notices as MCT has designated:
All MCT content used online shall carry the brand name of both MCT and the originating publication (if any). For text, this would mean using the name of the newspaper in the byline and MCT in the dateline. For example:
Byline and dateline:
By John Jones
Chicago (MCT) -- Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their..
End of story/cutline:
© 2014, Chicago Tribune. Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.
Photo and graphic credits shall include the name of the originating publication followed by a slash, then MCT. For example:
- Subscriber may not change or manipulate the content of a photograph either physically or electronically. Established photo printing methods such as burning, dodging, toning, cropping and minor color adjustments are acceptable. Retouching, electronic or manual, must be limited to the removal of minor scratches or minor image flaws.
- The customer shall not use or permit the use of the services in any way not authorized by these guidelines and shall not distort the substance of or editorial intent of photographs, stories or graphics.
- Customer may use a limited number of pieces of the MCT content per day. Content cannot be drawn substantially or wholly from a single provider, and cannot be used to create a replica of the MCT service.
- MCT content that is used online by customer may not be sold to or through redistributors on a daily or archival basis, either on a piecemeal basis, or as a part of the customer's complete online content.
- MCT shall have the right to restrict or withhold any material. MCT shall have the right to immediately revoke the license granted herein.
- Any customer who uses or permits the use of MCT content in any way not authorized by this license or the specific terms agreed to when an item is purchased will be liable for an additional charge equal to twice the maximum price of each misused story or visual.
- This agreement shall be governed by and interpreted under the laws of the United States of America, State of Illinois.
- This agreement contains the entire understanding of the parties concerning the MCT material. It supersedes and cancels all prior understandings, representations and negotiations between the parties. It may be amended only by a document signed by both parties.